Which other games from the myst series can you recommend?

This is a discussion forum for anything not directly related to Starry Expanse, Riven, etc.

Myst series

Myst
No votes
RealMyst
8%
Riven
33%
Myst III Exile
42%
URU Ages Beyond Myst
8%
Myst IV Revelation
8%
Myst V End of Ages
No votes

Total votes: 12

Dario

Which other games from the myst series can you recommend?

Post by Dario »

Can you recommend playing Myst III Exile, since it is not from the original developers? :)
Daikun

Re: Which other games from the myst series can you recommend?

Post by Daikun »

Yes. I think Myst III is a legitimately good entry in the franchise. It's also the only notable entry in the series where the villain is sympathetic.
tomysshadow

Post by tomysshadow »

RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition is, IMO, a better attempt to remake Myst than the original realMyst. If you want Myst in realtime 3D, then get the Masterpiece Edition. It looks better and runs well on modern Windows.

Riven is often cited as the best game in the series, and I can see why. Beautiful graphics, interweaving puzzles and a fully realized story. Of course you probably already know that if you're here.

Myst 3 is my personal favourite. The ages are gorgeous, the story is well thought out, the acting is good, and the puzzles, while a bit on the easier side, will certainly keep you busy for a while and felt fair. Sometimes it can be difficult to navigate, but most of the time it understands perfectly exactly what a Myst game should be. That said, this game takes place 10 years after Riven so the story can be a bit difficult to follow, but if you take it at face value you'll pretty much get the gist.

Myst 4 has good graphics, but the puzzles and the story are lacking. The puzzles are tedious and often involve trial and error. The acting lets down the story because other than Atrus and Yeesha, the actors in this game do not match their original Myst counterparts and not only that, but it is almost never believable. While Myst, Riven and Myst 3 make sense when played in order, my biggest pet peeve with Myst 4 isn't the acting, but the fact they had to undo something that happened in the first game (anyone who has played Myst 4 knows what I'm talking about) . I know that's how the official timeline goes but it makes no sense within the context of playing the games in order. If the goal was to follow the official timeline then the first Myst game would've been pretty boring.

Havn't played Myst 5, couldn't tell you how good it is.
Yali

Post by Yali »

I would recommend Uru Live but really only when Cyan was adding content weekly (during Prologue/Gametap). Right now its kind of a shadow of what it could have been. You really had to be there in 2003 and 2007.
Daikun

Post by Daikun »

tomysshadow wrote:RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition is, IMO, a better attempt to remake Myst than the original realMyst. If you want Myst in realtime 3D, then get the Masterpiece Edition. It looks better and runs well on modern Windows.
I'd contest that. Frankly, I think the graphics look worse in the Masterpiece Edition. The textures look janky and all that stuff they added to the environment just makes the island look awkward and out-of-place. The books are too clean when they should look old and worn. The models are low-poly and blob-like. Lighting is notably dimmer, making it harder to see in some areas. Compared to the original realMYST, the Masterpiece Edition looks and feels less believable.
Korovev

Post by Korovev »

Myst, Riven and Exile for sure. Myst if you want the original experience, realMyst if you prefer free-roaming (since you’re here, you might :) ). You can see e.g. here which realMyst version you might prefer.

In Revelation there are a few puzzles that are (were?) buggy and require being fast with the mouse, which personally dissuades me from replaying it.

In End of Ages the tablet gimmick often fails to do what it’s supposed to do. One puzzle might be bugged.

Uru (the Complete Chronicles, I suppose) is nice to have when you want the whole Cavern for yourself, and it’s a better option to see those fan ages that include puzzles, as in Deep Island they often get reset.
.kenet cavan t’marntav
Jamie Marchant

Post by Jamie Marchant »

Riven is one of the greatest games I have ever played! I

UPDATE: Wait the tittle is which OTHER game from the Myst Serries can you recommend. Oh I wish I could change my answer then. Myst III is my 'real' answer.
mutualcore

Post by mutualcore »

Exile was always my favorite game after Riven. Some of the architecture strikes a similar note to Riven, and having Brad Dourif as Saavedro is great. Replaying it recently, I also realized that the puzzles were a bit easier/more intuitive than Myst and Riven, which I like. Revelation is a mixed bag, and the less said about End Of Ages, the better.