Tay

Here's where you can ask the developers any question that strikes your fancy! Be sure to keep things civil.
Yali

Tay

Post by Yali »

Hiya guys!

I don't want to go all Gehn on you guys, but please please pleaaase consider adding the interior of the Hive as explorable. When I saw that box, all I wanted to do was go IN there! I was so dissapointed in the end that I spent the last 16 years imagining what it would look like to explore the age from the front door.

Even if its a DLC after the main game is finished that would be great. I've waited so long to even hope of seeing this area.
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: Tay

Post by nick »

Hey Yali.

This is a good question. It's one we get asked quite a bit, and unfortunately our answer always has to come back to our rule that we won't address any new areas or features until the original game has been recreated. I know that doesn't really help, so here are a few reasons for why I personally feel an explorable Tay wouldn't be a good idea.

Spoilers and stuff below.

The first issue I have with developing new areas inside the Hive is that it breaks the flow of the narrative. Depending on the player's actions, they're either just entering the third act (if you can break such a game into acts) or midway through the second. Either way, during your visit the trap book is returned to you - and this means for the first time since arriving on Riven you're going back on the 'offensive'. You can complete the mission given to you by Atrus. Taking a break right then and there to explore a village stalls the narrative, despite how cool it would be.

Another problem I have with an explorable Tay is maybe a bit more subjective. I don't believe the Moiety, a group who are at worst terrified and at best suspicious of strangers, would let you wander freely through their living space.

Finally, I don't think it's a good idea because less is more. This is the strongest reason against new areas in Tay, but it's also the one I find most difficult to express. The reason we all find Tay so enthralling and interesting is specifically because we see so little of it. We get a small glimpse of life as a rebel, and then we're whisked away with our trap book to take the fight to Gehn. To reveal more of what goes on behind the curtain is to damage the mystery.

I've not yet mentioned the technical issues in allowing players to explore a village full of people, but there's that too.

This is all just my personal opinion, and although I do think many on the team feel similarly, never say never. It's a long time before we have to make any decision.
Yali

Post by Yali »

The way I could see it working is if as a DLC you returned to Tay after getting the trap book. Near the dock there would be a boat that you could row to the hive. From there you could explore the hive and get more lore from journals and objects related to Catherine and the Moeity that would reveal more about the Moeity themselves and the fight against Gehn.

For me its more desired for story and environment reasons allowing more in depth visual storytelling that could reveal more about the culture and society of Riven, at least that's how I see it. I don't think it should be explorable on your first visit in the cell.

Also Myst had Rime when it was remade in 3d. I see this as potentially the same. More depth and lore through visual storytelling serving to expand the saga of Riven like how Rime expanded the D'ni mythos within Myst. Just my two cents.

Also I think its something that a lot of people would like considering how mezmerizing that box art was, and this is the official remake, making it the one chance it could happen.

Edit: Just want to add...

Yes you make a good point about the less is more. However if it was developed after the standalone game as a DLC, people could use it separate from the main experience. You could still play it before endgame as all it would do is add a boat to the hive on second visit, basically acting as an expansion of the story separate from the main flow of the narrative.
Andross

Post by Andross »

I wouldn't want to walk around Tay anyway. There is no way that it could ever live up to the expectations that are built up about it.

The old Moiety Hideout on the other hand, you could see where they were camped, and see signs of where they defied Gehn, that seems far more interesting to me.
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
Hekerui

Post by Hekerui »

The devs have their hands full with the game as it is, it's so huge! To hear DLC mentioned is so alien ... :lol:
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by nick »

In the end we'll still be creating the large section of the Hive that you see from the prison door - so at the very least we'll be able to provide angles of the same area not seen in the actual game. I think that's all we can promise* at this stage.

*Not actual promise
BenMech

Post by BenMech »

So, what do the Millers and RAWA say about all this?

I imagine they would have included more access if they wanted to, and that what The Stranger sees is deliberate.

The Moiety do not have reason to invite THe Stranger further into their lives. Everyone who has already has been destructive, rather than constructive.
philip
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by philip »

So, what do the Millers and RAWA say about all this?
Unfortunately, if we knew the answer to that, we wouldn't be able to tell you :/ NDA's and such.
JohnBrokenBridge

Post by JohnBrokenBridge »

I like the idea of a DLC. After you complete the game having the option to go back and explore Tay is an awesome idea. However, the DLC would HAVE to include a story. And Journals. Learning about the people there and just simply having something to DO on Tay would make the experience complete. But don't worry about any of this now. When the game is done and the team is bored, remember the Tay DLC.

EDIT: It is a good point that the people of Tay might not want the stranger to return or look around their village. Don't use this as a hindrance to making the proposed DLC though! Use it for the story! Yes you will have to have some writers, and yes you will have to consult Cyan, but this is a great opportunity to put some good ole MYST fanfic into the game!
Yali

Post by Yali »

That's exactly what I was thinking. I would kill to have the opportunity to expand upon an already great story and universe. Look at the guys remaking Morrowind in Skyrim and all the things they're adding that make it so much better, closer to its original vision and then some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql3FNCrYkGU

This is rare opportunity guys to be creative. So many Myst fans would kill to be in your shoes.

Adding to this is the sheer demand for such an expansion. You know how many times I've heard or read Myst fans want to see Tay in the last 15 years? Its probably one of those most wanted things in the fandom. I could see this as a great way to reinvigorate the IP. New content, or should I say expansion on already established content is such a desirable thing when it comes to old favorites like Riven (and Morrowind).