233rd age

Here's where you can ask the developers any question that strikes your fancy! Be sure to keep things civil.
SqueeMaster

233rd age

Post by SqueeMaster »

Is it possible that, as another demo, you guys at Starry Expanse could release a 233rd age demo? It would keep fans interested while not revealing the full product.
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...
...prepare for Descent
philip
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: 233rd age

Post by philip »

We currently have no plans to release another demo, at least for a while. The reasons for this are several, but if you ever have the opportunity to go to Mysterium, we usually have a playable level for attendees to interact with at some point. Sadly, though, not everyone can go to Mysterium...

Still, releasing a demo is something we continually put back up for reconsideration. I have a hard time believing we'll never release another one. :)
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

Will we be able to explore more of the 233rd age in RealRiven than normal Riven? I always have wanted to explore this age
...prepare for Descent
zib_redlektab
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by zib_redlektab »

Our goal, first and foremost, is to re-create the game to the same extents as it was originally released. That is to say, no, we will probably not be adding extra areas to our version of the game. Our concerns stem mainly from a concern that adding to the original game will make what is already a challenging title even harder. Nothing in the design of Riven is done without purpose, but allowing the player to explore 233 beyond the extents of the office building would be exploration for exploration's sake.

While this is fun, we fear that a first-time player would head out of the office and begin searching 233 for a reason to be out there, which of course wouldn't exist - unless we were to start adding our own puzzles and dropping clues for them in the new areas. This is a path we have no interest in starting down, so we will (most likely) not be expanding the game beyond its original bounds.

I understand the argument for a Rime-like addition to the game, only accessible once the game is otherwise concluded, but where would such an addition fit in? The ending of Riven doesn't exactly leave room for further exploration. No matter how you spin it, it feels like gilding the lily. In other words, less is more :)
Yali

Post by Yali »

zib, your post made me subscribe to Unreal 4. If you guys won't add the unseen ages, then I'm gonna try a crack at making them myself. This will be good training for environment design which I want get better at.

I just bought Unreal and my plan is to make explorable Tay and K'veer, but don't worry, it'll be an addendum to Riven not tied to starry expanse. I plan to start the player in Atrus' Tomahna study with only two books - one to Tay, one to K'veer. I might do 233, maybe, but Tay and K'veer are calling to me right now. 8-)
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

Especially Tay, I think everyone would want to see more of Tay
...prepare for Descent