Plans for dynamic environment?

Here's where you can ask the developers any question that strikes your fancy! Be sure to keep things civil.

Do you want a Day / Night Cycle in Riven?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 13

LordNyriox

Plans for dynamic environment?

Post by LordNyriox »

First of all, just to let you guys know, everything I've seen so far on your project has just completely blown my mind. It's strange, I guess, since I can't usually say such a thing honestly. Usually understanding on any number of things is simply intuitive, but the sheer amount of work you guys are putting into accuracy and attention to detail is very difficult to track, even for me--and that's just plain awesome! Even Cyan never went into so much detail for accuracy's sake (but don't let that stop you!) with realMyst (old or new). Great job, folks, and keep it up!

With all that in mind, what are your current plans for dynamic weather, day/night cycle, et cetera? I haven't heard from you guys in a while as far as adjusting for the changes in sky handling from Unity to Unreal, and I know I, for one, really enjoyed the effect the daylight cycle gave the public Prison Island demo. (Heck, I used to spend real-life continuous hours just watching the effect the varying daylight had on every aspect of the environment.)

The Day / Night cycle and weather patterns in realMyst were certainly one of the best parts of that game, as well. Given how beautifully immersive watching the same environment in changing weather and times of day can be in that game and several others, I wanted to see what you were considering with it.

Sorry for the overly-long explanation.
Thanks for reading,
~Ryan Medeiros
"That which is not truly real cannot indefinitely claim the power of that which is, although it can be infused into that which is real, and so create reality within itself."

~Myself, a long, long time ago
philip
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: Plans for dynamic environment?

Post by philip »

Some time shortly after Mysterium, we're probably going to have a blog post about this topic. Stay tuned!
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: Plans for dynamic environment?

Post by nick »

That's exactly what we said last Mysterium!

Who was supposed to write that!? Geez!

Oh wait...

It was me.