Linking?

Here's where you can ask the developers any question that strikes your fancy! Be sure to keep things civil.
DroogedMoog

Linking?

Post by DroogedMoog »

the creaters always talked about how they invisioned the linking page "expanding" into view. I was curious if you guys planned on having any extra cinematic linking how they originally invisioned it or what your plans for that are?
Andross

Re: Linking?

Post by Andross »

I don't see the point of that. If the Millers had really wanted to do that, it wouldn't have been that difficult for them to do. So I take the fading to black as canon. The explosions of colour appearing on the firemarble powered linking books is about the closest that anything gets to expanding in any of the games.
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
DroogedMoog

Post by DroogedMoog »

Well I remember seeing an interview where they said the only reason they didn't was due to a deadline of sorts (which is where the sound for linking came into play). I am only curious, 'cause the way they explain it in the books and interviews are quite different than what they do in the games.
udqbpn

Post by udqbpn »

I just thought I'd point out that in the FIRST link of the game, when you link from Atrus's study in D'ni to Riven, the page of the book DOES expand to fill the screen when you link, just like I think you are describing ;-)
DroogedMoog

Post by DroogedMoog »

Kinda yes, kinda no. When I hear them explain it, it seems more dramatic and extravagant. That seemed more of a cinematic intro style to me. I dunno, maybe I'm just visualizing it differently :P
Andross

Post by Andross »

I agree, especially since all of the ingame text talks about a jerk when you use a linking book, or falling into the page. The only things that falls as slowly as that intro in Riven is a glacier.

Also, I'm sure the title of the age doesn't rush past you while travelling through the link normally. ;)
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
philip
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by philip »

We've considered making an effect like this! I don't think it'll be done by Mysterium, but it's definitely worth experimenting with and seeing how it looks and feels.
DroogedMoog

Post by DroogedMoog »

WONDERFUL.