Your history with Myst.

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
SqueeMaster

Re: Your history with Myst.

Post by SqueeMaster »

I heard stories of this game Myst growing up all the time of how different of a game and how amazing it was from my dad and sister. We did not have a way to play it, so I knew nothing about it until we discovered that there was a Myst app. We bought it quickly after that, and finished it 6 months later, then bought the Riven app and finished it a year later. I wanted to play Myst III, but knew no way to buy it until I found Myst:the Collection being sold on EBay that included all 5 games. I bought it and am currently enjoying Myst III and IV
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...
...prepare for Descent
Yali

Post by Yali »

Wow! New fans to the series? I thought we were a dying breed. :D
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

I am sort of a second generation Myst fan :D
...prepare for Descent
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

If it wasn't for IOS version of Myst and Riven, I might not be such a big Myst fan I am
...prepare for Descent
Robert Hickman

Post by Robert Hickman »

It was riven that caught my intrest, sometime in the late 90's my dad got the game and I remember being mesmerised by the world it created. The mechanical puzzles and train rides. I found it quite heartbreaking seeing the beautiful workd being destroyed at the games end.

I never really 'got' the origional myst as having played riven first it fealt/looked very primitive in contrast. And it's only in the last 2 years that I descovered there where further sequals. I havent played them, but having watched let's plays I don't feel any of them can live up to just how real riven feels. Everything is just so perfectly intergrated into the world that it dosn't feel like a game.
Yali

Post by Yali »

Myst III and Uru are pretty good. Myst IV is hit and miss. EoA is very rushed.
Andross

Post by Andross »

My introduction to Myst was seeing the dramatic CD art with the falling man on it sitting in the CD cabinet growing up and wondering who it was and what happened in the game (my expectations were quite different to reality). Apparently it had come bundled with Mum and Dad's Windows 95 desktop, and they had played it in the rare moments I was asleep as a baby ;)
anyway, I eventually convinced mum that I could play it and it wouldn't be too hard, unfortunately though, the game worked, but was unsolvable as none of the animations played, meaning most of the ages you couldn't get to. :(

In any case, the next game that I played was Exile, which is the game that sold the franchise to me, then I played Riven and then revelations. I saw myst V on a a shelf in the game shop one day, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your oppinion) I read some reviews of it before I bought it an decided that it really didn't sound like the game that I wanted to play. Which is correct for the most part.

While I really enjoyed Exile, Riven holds the most special place to me, in part as it's the only game that I solved without help (well except for one of the moiety symbols, which previous completes of the game will know exactly which one I mean because it's the most obscure clue in the series outside of Kadish Tolisa, seriously, to all you guys who legitimately worked that out, I doft my cap). I credit this to the design of the game which gives you just enough direction at the start to have goal to work towards, capturing Gehn, but never forces you to follow a particular strand of direction which means that you get totally stymied and lose enthusiasm if you can't solve a particular puzzle (this is what I think let's Myst 3 & 4 down, if you hit a puzzle you can't solve, you really can't proceed in the age any further and have to exit it and try another one, making it far more demoralising if you can't solve something, and leading me to turn to walkthroughs (Spire I'm talking about you!))
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
xbolt

Post by xbolt »

Myst came out when I was three. Dad would play it and I'd watch, though I don't remember much of that original experience.

However, I remember Riven vividly. We got it Christmas 1997, and I remember being very sick and generally feeling awful. Then I saw that Tay box art for the first time, and my day was better. Dad and I solved our way through over the next few months.

Similar stories with the rest of the series. (Though I wasn't sick for all of them.)

Fast forward to 2011, and I introduce my girlfriend (now my wife) to the Myst games. By then, I knew every puzzle by heart, so I just sat there and let her figure stuff out, only occasionally answering questions.