Anyone Read The Myst Novels?

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
Yali

Re: Anyone Read The Myst Novels?

Post by Yali »

I was just scanning through Book of Ti'Ana last night while waiting for Skyrim to load (I have a billion mods) and its such a great story. Its so filled with emotion and classic Greek drama material.

I have to agree with the ill fated Mystericas when they said that it really is all about Veovis.

SPOILER BEGINS HERE!!!

He's the tragic hero of Myst. Betrayed and warped by the biggest psychopath in D'ni history, saved by his enemy only to enact revenge all while having a strange fascination with his enemy's husband. Finally he recants at the end when all is lost and D'ni is plunged into darkness. This is the stuff that makes fangirls and fanboys squee. :mrgreen:

END OF SPOILER POINT!

Edit: What no spoiler feature?? :o
wangmauler

Post by wangmauler »

I bought "The Myst Reader" but have yet to start it. I'm a n00b I know...I will start it soon...soooonnnn.
xbolt

Post by xbolt »

I have BoA in both hard and paperback, BoT in hardcover, and BoD in paperback.

BoA is by far my favorite of the three. Gehn is just such a fascinating character.
tim
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by tim »

I have read all three multiple times. BoA and BoT probably stand out the most to me. This is just reminding me that I should do another read through soon. It's probably been about 10 years or so. I remember I got BoA back when Riven came out as part of a box set at Best Buy. It came with a Riven mouse pad, a Myst T-Shirt (that I think was XL, was way too big for my 115 pound highschool freshman self) and the book.
mitsuracer85

Post by mitsuracer85 »

I read them all a long time ago. I bought the books from those Scholastic book catalogs you used to get in elementary/middle school. About 2 years ago I was in Barnes and Noble and came across the Myst reader, which is a hardcover with all of 3 books combined into one.
jameverywhere

Post by jameverywhere »

I read them the minute I first discovered them. I don't know how I did... I must have just been googling for Myst merchandise as a teenager. They remain three of my favorite books of all time, and I keep them on my "favorite books" shelf :D

I am especially drawn to the Book of Atrus, since it more directly deals with the characters we get to know in the games. While the writing style can be stilted at times (the way people talk and think is especially unnatural at certain points)... the book's plot and characterization is subtle and well-rounded enough that I can't get enough of the story. I re-read all three novels whenever I go through and replay the games, which seems to be about once every 5 years or so?

I do have some trouble visualizing some of the worlds--there's something missing in some of the descriptions--but that gets fleshed out in a lot of the games. I'll boot up Uru to walk around the cleft so I can imagine it better when reading about it.

Does anybody know how nice the hardcover versions are? I've had the paperbacks for like 10 years but someday my dream is to, idk, get my books signed by Rand Miller, or one of the contributing authors...! And I'd like to have nice copies for that, if it ever comes to pass.
xbolt

Post by xbolt »

jameverywhere wrote:Does anybody know how nice the hardcover versions are? I've had the paperbacks for like 10 years but someday my dream is to, idk, get my books signed by Rand Miller, or one of the contributing authors...! And I'd like to have nice copies for that, if it ever comes to pass.
I really love the hardcover versions. They feel more like linking books.
jameverywhere

Post by jameverywhere »

Guess I know what's going on my Amazon wishlist right now...
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

You actually have a "favorite books" shelf? That's a good idea!
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...
...prepare for Descent
RoboticBrad

Post by RoboticBrad »

I actually cheated... started reading The Book of Atrus and quickly realized I would never have enough time to get through it with all the hours of work I was putting in, so I got the audio cassettes! I know it's not a replacement, but I really enjoyed the story! I have all 3 hardcover books, and yes they do look nice on the bookshelf. I recently ripped the audio off the cassettes and put them in mp3 format so I could re-listen to them again on my phone. Maybe I'll get around to actually reading the books soon... Ha!