Myst music.

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
Daikun

Myst music.

Post by Daikun »

The Myst games are highly notable for their amazing music. Does anyone have any particular favorite tracks?

Here are some playlists if you need a refresher:

Myst
Riven
Myst III: Exile
Myst IV: Revelation
Uru
Myst V: End of Ages
Yali

Re: Myst music.

Post by Yali »

Early Selenitic Mystgate
Forechamber Theme
Temple of Achenar
Fortress Ambience II
Selenitic Mystgate
Above Stoneship
The Tower
Achenar's Theme From Channelwood
Achenar's Stoneship Theme
Sirrus' Cache

Village Entrance Theme
Jungle Totem
Moeity Caves
Boat Ride
Moeity Prison
The Red Cave
Gehn Speaks
Fissure

Myst III Trailer Music
Saavedro's Theme
The Spider Spinner
Libra's Lever
Wheels Of Wonder
Deadwood Ridge
Swing Vines
Theme From Voltaic
Airship Chasm
Going Home

Deep Jungle (Mangree Totem Music)
Haven
Lakeside
Prison Level - best track in the series
Enter Serenia

Beyond Gira
Out Of The Hive
Gallery Theme
Convergence
The Well
Garrison (The Wall Fortress Music)
Hidden (Kadish Moon Room Theme)
Spore Me (Teledahn Entrance Music)
Baron's Theme (Teledahn Version)
The Vault
Everything from Minkata
Er'Cana Theme
Ahnonay Space Sphere
Kadish Revealed (Fourth Sphere Music)
Teledahn Slave Office Music
Vothol Gallery
K'veer Season Finale

Noloben Lab

(I really didn't like Myst V's soundtrack)
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by nick »

This track from Exile, which I've only ever seen called "Myst 3: Exile Demo 1", is one of my favourites. It's used in at least one of the trailers but not in the actual game.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Myst+III+Exile ... KWvL?src=5
Daikun

Post by Daikun »

nick wrote:This track from Exile, which I've only ever seen called "Myst 3: Exile Demo 1", is one of my favourites. It's used in at least one of the trailers but not in the actual game.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Myst+III+Exile ... KWvL?src=5
Well...kinda. ;) It seems they recycled it. I noticed its similarity to "The Airship Chasm" right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThvtzeOn8T0
jameverywhere

Post by jameverywhere »

The Exile main theme is a family favorite.

haha, even my mom, who has never played a Myst game, stole all the soundtracks from me when I was in highschool so she could put them on her iPod. She will even be like, "Jack Wall is one of my favorite composers" when people ask her about music!

I own all the soundtracks. They're all amazing in their own way. Myst, Riven, and Myst V are especially good for chill ambient sound when I'm working on something and need to be reasonably relaxed. Exile, Revelation, and Uru are soundtracks I listen to a lot while travelling/doing art.

I'm a huge collector of ambient music and video game soundtracks... I have over 6 gigabytes just of video game soundtracks, haha. (Most of them I got from the Humble Indie Bundle throughout the years... I will buy bundles just for the music and never play the games!) All the Myst soundtracks get their own genre and playlist in my music player so that I can reach them easily and play them most often. :3
SqueeMaster

Post by SqueeMaster »

I too, enjoy the Exile theme!

I also really enjoyed the Myst Theme, I almost always start listening to my music with The Myst Theme. probably odd, but I also liked Gehn's Theme
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...
...prepare for Descent
PythonBlue

Post by PythonBlue »

For me, it's close to impossible to narrow down a favorite theme from Riven: I love all the pieces, including the ones that didn't make it onto the CD. As for others:

Myst:
Achenar's Cache
Selentic Mystgate
Un-Finale
(game-exclusive) Generator Stairs
(game-exclusive) Geargate

Myst III:
Atrus' Study
The Spider Spinner
Wheels of Wonder
Swing Vines
Theme from Voltaic

Myst IV:
Prison Level

Myst V:
Myst
udqbpn

Post by udqbpn »

I'm quite a fan of specifically the Moiety theme that plays when you "unlock" the linking book to Tay :-P (the rebel age.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eqetqwcWEo

Also, there are a lot of words in the Narayan language in the music in Myst III. I was trying to find translations, and I found this: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17110. Although, this only has translations for the main theme, and if you listen, there are a lot of lyrics in other tracks in the soundtrack that I can't find translations to but oh well.
rgerber

Post by rgerber »

I love the original Myst soundtrack, as many might know it was produced after deciding to include music, without being obtrusive, Robyn Miller one of the 2 dev brothers composed a soundtrack using one synthesizer.
He did a great soundtrack that is so calm and romantic. :)

Then he composed also the Riven soundtrack which is almost like a logical progression, more complex and alien. Awesome synthesizer music combined with a few traditional instruments. But extremely un-obtrusive.
This is the kind of art doing the music right. :D

Then came Myst 3 Exile, which has a much more strong soundtrack, much more synthesized, organic but also slightly unorthodox for the style of game. :?

Then came Myst IV which has a full blown orchestra style soundtrack, even composed live.
The soundtrack is so powerful, it literally blows you away. It's like a epic, bombast Hollywood action piece.
It is so wrong, so wrong... It almost makes me laugh. That's what it did back then.
It's the literal kick in the balls for the Myst universe. :oops: :shock:
Listen to the last moment of the theme: bum-Bum-BubuBUM-BAM-ba-BAM-BAM-BABABAM!!!
It also combines some gipsy music and weird musical rituals Theres also some arab chanting. Those are people living in magic worlds, yes. But don't remind me of reality!

Myst V has a very good soundtrack, various themes, mystical and some weird missteps again. It even gives you a chance to think. There's some throat singing though, again. Don't remind me reality. The music when you drive down the great shaft. Pure epic war-drums. So what Am I playing again?
Ah, a game about poetical metaphors and magical far away worlds, there comes the bush man banging the war-drums and throating down my neck! :?

The Uru soundtrack is very good and I think it closed to a good foundation of an unique style.
But Myst IV remains a joke... it is epic, EPIC! but this is Myst.
Reading books and philosophy is not "epic", it is thoughtful and deep. not HARSH.
Myst IV is just a punch in the face. :o
Greigh

Post by Greigh »

The Gallery Theme from URU is one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard. I get goosebumps every time I listen to it.

When I wonder what angels might sound like, I think of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghj3x_eKmr4