Myst music.

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
Yali

Re: Myst music.

Post by Yali »

I wouldn't call the Myst IV music out of place or "epic". I felt it really suited the visuals. Spire is dark and cold and the music reflects beautifully the sad and haunting quality of the world. Haven's music is really warm and lush with its array of dizzying percussives. I thought it sounded great and perfectly fit the environment.

Exile also had great music, especially Amateria and Voltaic. There are some truly beautiful pieces here like Libra's Lever and Airship Chasm. I don't see why Myst can't have symphonic music as long as its GOOD and captures the feel of the environments.

Myst V on the other hand... oh boy. Totally bombastic in places but without an actual symphony or really good melodic composition. I liked Tim's Uru soundtrack a lot more but really disliked his Myst V work. I'm much more of a fan of Robyn Miller's stuff. I feel he and and Jack Wall seem to really capture the aesthetic of the games in their music extremely well.
Dario

Post by Dario »

I only own the riven soundtrack cd

My favorites are all of the 20 tracks

But i can pick two:

13. wahrk room, because i liked the atmosphere when the wahrk appears

18. ghens theme , its so deep with the island scenery in the background

Robyn miller is such a genius for composing these sounds
In the booklet it says: he worked with a korg trinity, a yamaha vl-1 synthesizer and opcode studio vision on a macintosh.

Daikun

Post by Daikun »

Yali wrote:Myst V on the other hand... oh boy. Totally bombastic in places but without an actual symphony or really good melodic composition. I liked Tim's Uru soundtrack a lot more but really disliked his Myst V work.
Agreed. I feel the only track that works in Myst V is when you return to Myst Island. The rest of that soundtrack feels very out of place, like it belongs in a war film.
Andross

Post by Andross »

I think that Myst 4s music overpowered the visuals in a lot of cases, myst III was better where I felt that only on Narayan was that the case, having said that, the themes from Narayan are some of my favourite of the game. Where I think they went wrong in later games is where they tried to use music to put you on edge, rather than use the music to set the mood, and then rely on the context and visuals to put you on edge. A subtle difference to be sure, but I think it overstepped in Myst 4,5
and at times in 3.
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
derekh

Post by derekh »

I found a great piano cover of Catherine's Freedom on YouTube. FLAC files and sheet music are available for it as well: https://youtu.be/Mx6Z6xrZXf0