Riven Actors

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
Andross

Riven Actors

Post by Andross »

I was reading today that Cyan are going to be using stereoscopic live 3D recording for their actors for Obduction, which made me think, who would you get to play the characters in Riven nowadays if you were hypothetically going to live action them?

This particularly sprang to mind as I have been recently been watching Game of Thrones and couldn't help but draw several parallels between Tywin Lannister and Gehn. Certainly Charles Dance, the actor for Tywin in GOT would get my vote to play Gehn in a live action performance, he looks fairly similar with the same hollowed cheeks and the same gravitas in his voice. Who would you suggest to play the other characters? (asuming that you can't convince Rand to reprise a young Atrus again!)
Last edited by Andross on 01 Aug 2015, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE TIN CANS ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!
tim
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: Riven Actors

Post by tim »

Something tells me that even if we were using live actors to reshoot everything, Charles Dance might be a little outside of our budget ;). I did recently finish a Cersei 3D model for fun though (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/game ... -lannister). Maybe we can cast a digital Lena Headey in one of our roles.
Arne

Post by Arne »

Live actors are too much expensive and takes to much time. These fan arts "game of thrones" are awesome :!:
it will all be ok in the end, if it's not ok it's not the end !
Yali

Post by Yali »

Oona Chaplin could make a good Katran.
Andross

Post by Andross »

We seem to be channeling Game of Riven? Riven Thrones? Game of Myst-ical thrones...?
Yali

Post by Yali »

Littlefinger = Sirrus
Tywin Lannister = Gehn
Robb's Wife = Katran
Robert Baratheon = Richard Watson :lol:
Andross

Post by Andross »

Yali wrote:Robert Baratheon = Richard Watson :lol:
The likeness is astounding :lol:

Who from Game of Thrones could be Atrus?
Dario

Post by Dario »

That would be way too much for the budget i guess.

I would try to extract the original Video Files from the Riven CD, somehow scale it up and put some filter over it, so it doesnt look pixelated.

Another option coule be, to create 3D Models of the charackters, animate them, and record the voices, or just use the original sound files.

The cheapest version would be, create a 3D model, without much animation (maybe some facial movement), and display subtitles of the speech. :)
Yali

Post by Yali »

I'd imagine Cyan still has the original 1997 source videos. I don't think video quality would be THAT different in the last 18 years. Could you guys ask them? John Keston's acting is irreplaceable, especially with all the nuance in his facial expressions.
Andross

Post by Andross »

Yali wrote:I'd imagine Cyan still has the original 1997 source videos. I don't think video quality would be THAT different in the last 18 years. Could you guys ask them? John Keston's acting is irreplaceable, especially with all the nuance in his facial expressions.
No, it'd be terrible! It would be in standard definition for a start, and you know how ordinary the live action in Exile looked because of the lower video quality. This would be even worse because the resolution is even higher. I don't see any way that they could use the original video files. The sound would be fine, because there is a limit to how much better it would sound even with new recordings, and they may actually have the original Studio recordings which would be CD+ quality anyway.

I think as long as they do a good job of the digital actors and carefully mimic each facial expression it should be okay. especially if they did have the original files as reference.