Wahrk counting game dimentions?

Here's where you can ask the developers any question that strikes your fancy! Be sure to keep things civil.
PeterMLGill

Wahrk counting game dimentions?

Post by PeterMLGill »

So I'm getting into wood carving, and to get started I figured I would try to make the hanging people figurines from the wahrk counting game. I do also plan on trying to make a functional replica as well once my skills are much, much better, so I am really curious to know if there is any way to determine at least the general scale of the game since I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Also, are any high resolution renders available for it? Because I'm curious to see if they put in any detail for how the string is supposed to connect to the figurine, or if that is left to interpretation.

Thanks in advance! :D Also, as a side note, I haven't been keeping up-to-date on this project, but I just looked at the blog and I'm really happy to see this project is still going strong! Riven is my favorite game of all time, and though the original will probably always be the definitive version to me I still really look forward to getting to experience this adaptation when it gets done!
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Re: Wahrk counting game dimentions?

Post by nick »

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the kind words!

This is the highest resolution image we have of the Counting Toy, It's from the dvd version of Riven.
I've attached some measurements (cm) from our version, I hope they prove useful.
767_jschoolroom.280.png
767_jschoolroom.280.png (203.9 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
Attachments
CountingToyScale.jpg
CountingToyScale.jpg (72.29 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
CountingToyScale2.jpg
CountingToyScale2.jpg (32.67 KiB) Viewed 8520 times
PeterMLGill

Post by PeterMLGill »

Hey, thanks! I already looked through the game files, so I was hoping there was some higher resolution render somewhere than what was included in the game. Also, your version seems a lot bigger than what I would have thought the game to be (personally I assumed the base would be around a foot in diameter, about 30.5 cm). What exactly did you use to base the dimensions off of?

The data is still very appreciated, though. :) If nothing else I may use it to help me with proportions, though I've already gotten started on my first attempt.
nick
Starry Expanse Developer

Post by nick »

No higher resolution image exists as far as I am aware, we're stuck with the game files for that one.

Our version may seem bigger. We created it by camera matching, using a default player height of (roughly) 6ft.

Make sure you share some pictures as your model comes along, we'd love to see it!