Gehn's office

Talk about The Starry Expanse Project (aka realRIVEN), Myst, Riven, or anything related.
udqbpn

Gehn's office

Post by udqbpn »

Compare:
tools-of-the-trade.jpg
tools-of-the-trade.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
tumblr_me5oyqaxIF1rifem1o1_1280.png.jpg
tumblr_me5oyqaxIF1rifem1o1_1280.png.jpg (377.96 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (752.85 KiB) Viewed 13151 times
Original game renders top two, Starry Expanse Project render on bottom, in case anyone's interested in discussing side-by-sides.
SqueeMaster

Re: Gehn's office

Post by SqueeMaster »

I like the detail of the leather on the book in the original.
Perhaps the ending has not yet been written...
...prepare for Descent
Gorobay

Post by Gorobay »

Let’s play find the differences! Everything is too bright and shiny and clean in the Starry Expanse render, except the desktop itself, which should be more reflective. Some things still have placeholder textures. The motif around the base of the pillars is too brown and needs rotating, and the left one is mirrored. The pipe and the small sphere are an inch too far back. The glass is missing its base and its bone. The pen-holder’s base is too short. The beetle’s base is missing its D’ni inscription (I know it is a placeholder texture but it is so easy to miss I wanted to mention it specifically).

Whew, that’s a lot of differences. They are minor, of course, but when the modeling and camera-matching are so obsessively accurate it raises expectations for everything else.
Yali

Post by Yali »

Also the motif on the pillar in the original is highly reflective where in the new version its more matte.
Blood Raven

Post by Blood Raven »

Well, as I see it each has good and bad sides. For example, the starry expanse one has better shading on the metal objects, and you can actually see the outside in that view, which is a bonus. However, the columns and the marble look worse, since they do not seem to reflect anything. I'd still go with it, but maybe that's not the final look of it...
The lighting is also a lot better, more sunset-ish, because, well there's a sunset :D

I think the starry expanse looks better, but it would be even better if they added refleciveness to the marble parts.

BTW, what is the difference between the first one and second one, aside from the brightness?
Jamie Marchant

Post by Jamie Marchant »

I think the objects on the table look to new.(too "clean" like someone else said.) The sunset is a big improvement and is the kind of thing I look forward too in the new version of the game. Can you get the original textures from Cyan and would that help?
Dario

Post by Dario »

The material surfaces and reflections in the original renders look better to me.

I think they need to improve this in the Unreal version.